This project has provided a series of 12 descriptive plaques throughout both parks
This was a time consuming challenge to the group, volunteers had to painstakingly source the historical facts for inclusion on the plaques.
The group worked closely with design artists to produce the finished item, which was funded with a grant from “Awards for All”
West End Park dates from 1908 and was designed by Sir John Wilson, a local landowner, M.P.and benefactor of Airdrie town.
The adjacent Centenary Park commemorates the centenary of Airdrie Burgh in 1921.
West End Park with its stepped terraces, is the more formal but the original network of paths has been maintained in both parks. The Heritage Plaques are situated on the network of paths, most being convenient for wheelchair users.